Economic Development Specialist Position Description
Organization: Westminster Economic Development Initiative, Inc.
Position Title: Economic Development Specialist, Economic Development Corps (AmeriCorps)
Program Name: Economic Development
Supervisor: Economic Development Director (EDD)
Location: Office at 436 Grant Street, Buffalo, NY 14213 with neighborhood travel to local small
Organization Mission: WEDI’s mission is to empower economically disadvantaged people in Buffalo,
New York, with a primary focus on the West Side community.
Organization Overview: Since 2007, WEDI has served the City of Buffalo by tutoring children, building
and rehabbing housing, and developing businesses through training, microlending, and a small business
incubation. We primarily work with refugees, immigrants, and low-income individuals with programs and
services tailored to these communities. We have over 350 people interested in small business services
with over 80 operating business startups and over 50 loans disbursed.
Websites: www.wedibuffalo.org / www.westsidebazaar.com
Phone Number: 716-393-4088
Interested applicants: This position is through AmeriCorps, to learn more about how to apply please
Primary Purpose and Function
● Guide minimum of 100 small business owners and/or burgeoning entrepreneurs through the
process of starting or expanding a business through the Economic Development Program via
financial literacy, financing, business counseling, and technical assistance training.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
● Recruit prospective and current business owners interested in accessing business training,
technical assistance, and business loans in the neighborhoods and communities of Buffalo, NY.
● Provide one-on-one technical assistance to clients in financial literacy, credit, and business
counseling, to establish financial stability and help them start or expand a business.
● Support clients in developing business plans, business financials (including interim), and financial
● Recruit volunteer business coaches, match the coaches with appropriate clients, and manage
● Guide clients through the microloan application process adhering to SBA and CDFI standards.
● Assist in the underwriting of credit-building and business loans up to $20,000.
● Log, monitor, and report the information in Loan Management database system.
[ Position description and details continued on next page ]
Page 1 of 2
Possible Functions and Responsibilities
● Support EDD in program development, including statistical analysis, project management, and
other duties as assigned.
● Develop economic development programs to benefit clients and/or other West Side residents.
● Gather research to augment EDD’s current work.
Required Knowledge and Skills
● Strong knowledge of business plans, cash flow models, and other general business topics.
● Strong understanding of lending, including credit history and collateral.
● Strong customer service tendencies, especially in cross-cultural contexts.
● Ability to manage, organize, and update relevant data using both cloud-based and software
database applications, including loan management and outcome tracking systems.
● Ability to create statistical tools and reports using spreadsheets.
● Competent in MS Office products, Google products, email and internet applications.
● Fluency in English language, both oral and written.
● Demonstrated problem solving and people skills.
● High accuracy in work, attention to detail.
● Proven oral and written skills.
Preferred Knowledge and Skills
● Fluency in Spanish language, Asian/African languages, and/or Arabic.
● Knowledgeable or ability to learn the neighborhoods and communities of Buffalo, NY, and
immediate surrounding areas.
● Bachelors in Business, Economics, Finance, or a related field.
● Sitting in meetings for long periods of time, up to 2 hours at a time.
● Visiting local businesses by car, walking, or public transportation.
● Frequent alpha/numeric keyboarding.
● Frequent oral communication in person and over the phone.
● Ability to view a computer monitor for long periods of time.
Organizational Policy/Procedure Compliance
● Follow all organizational policies and procedures and local, state, and federal laws.
● The organization does not tolerate sexually, violently, or other unlawfully discriminatory actions,
gestures, harassment, or statements. Any of these behaviors are subject to personnel action up
to and including immediate termination. Such actions must be reported to the supervisor
● Maintain confidentiality of organizational records and information at all times.
● Maintain a professional but friendly image.
Interested applicants: Visit www.wedibuffalo.org/edc-americorps